Monday, April 8, 2013

Shamrock Shuffle recap

Hydrating before the race started.
8K: 52:18: 10:32 pace

Sunday was a beautiful day for the Shamrock Shuffle, cool, sunny, couldn't ask for anything more. Once I passed the start line it was a great course that took you through the heart of downtown Chicago, something I had not experienced before. Once the course turned off Wacker and on to State Street and you saw nothing but runners it was quite the site, wish I would have had a camera handy.

Thankfully, the field wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be and there was plenty of room to get around people.

I was pretty happy with my results as well, a 10:32 pace for the whole thing is pretty good for me, and while I would have like to be a little faster I can't really complain.

All that said, I won't be running this again. The packet pickup at Navy Pier was a nightmare, taking about an hour to move about a mile. Part of this was my fault for deciding to drive down but traffic was horrific getting in and out.

There were also the corrals. This is something I just need to get use to, especially with the marathon. The first corral of wave two took off at 9:15 am. I was in corral H and didn't start until 9:37 am. They also closed the corral at 9 am. That was a lot of time just standing around. I didn't know anyone else in my corral so I was just trying not to get too stiff or bored. Rory was in the last corral and she didn't start the race until 10 am. I need to figure out the best way to deal with this when it comes to October.

I'm on kind of a taper leading up to the Lakefront 10-miler on April 20. Tomorrow will be four miles of speed work and then Thursday is a double with the Road Runner Adventure Race again. I can count on the adventure race being around four miles so I'm not sure what I'll do in the morning, probably another four or so. Saturday will be eight miles.

With the fundraising I need to do for the marathon I'm trying to think of different thing I can do to encourage people to donate. I've already decided that once I hit the $500 mark I will run a 5K in a tutu as a reward with many picture to be included. Shaving my head and facial hair is a no go as the former scares me and the latter scares Rory. Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment