Thursday, August 29, 2013

8/28 and 8/29 - Speed it up, shake it out

8/28: 3.1 miles: 31:50: 10:14 pace
8/29: 4 miles: 45:32: 11:23 pace

I had a frustrating work day on Wednesday. I'm a trade journalist, which can sometimes mean you're a industry hack, but that's not me. I aim to write interesting stories about the different technologies out there to inform my readers so they can make educated decisions.

What has become more of a trend recently is that marketers and PR folks don't want to provide an executive to chat but would rather provide email responses. These responses typically are so water downed and sanitized that they're not worth writing about.

So on Wednesday I finally get some headway on a story I've been following for nine months and they don't want to give me an exec but email responses. I was more than a little annoyed. That coupled with a couple of other minor things put me in a dismal mood.

What does this have to do with running? Well I went to the Evanston Running Club speed workout that evening and it helped me forget about my bad day. In the past I may have popped a couple of beers and dwelled but running was a far healthier way to deal with my stress.

As for the speed workout, it was 1600 meter repeats, that's four laps around the high school track. I knew this was the workout going in and was not looking forward to it but it went well. It was hard -- don't get me wrong -- but it was a good workout and I don't feel like I did that bad and I actually passed a couple of people.

Thursday morning I did a four mile shakeout run just to get the legs moving again. The legs were a bit heavy and tight but not too bad.

Friday I rest and 18 on Saturday. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment