Sunday, September 1, 2013

8/31 run - August wrap up

18 miles: 3:32:10:11:50 pace

Last run of August was a doozy. Ran Skokie Lagoons again. Started at 5:30 am and about a mile in it started raining. Luckily it only rained for about 10 minutes but it was quite the downpour, started out wet and stayed that way for the next three plus hours.

We parked in a different spot this time around so I was able to refuel/rehydrate, making this run a little bit easier than the last one ... well as easy as running 18 miles can be. If I had to rank the long runs the past three weekends I would say the 16 miles last weekend was the best, though my pace was the exact same as the 18 miler. The 15-miler two weeks ago was six-second a miles faster and I felt like I really struggled on that one, running out of water around mile 15.

It's all relative, I felt pretty out of it after the run. I took my first ice bath -- not horrible -- and had a nice three hour nap after heading out for the evening. Though I definitely wasn't firing on all cylinders. Had a headache creep up on me and left me feeling out of it.

It's the next day and my left ankle is a little tender but nothing more than usual. Otherwise I'm feeling pretty good. Slept for a good nine plus hours and with the holiday Monday get another day to recover and sleep in. I might try to go for a short shakeout run tomorrow just to get the blood flowing.

Otherwise, 10 miles on Tuesday, boot camp Wednesday morning, speed work in the evening, four miles on Thursday and maybe boot camp Friday. I'm doing the Chicago Half Marathon on Sunday so a lot of what I do later in the week will depend on how I feel.

Six weeks till the marathon and I would be lying if I said I was ready. These long runs have taken a lot out of me and it's going to be a challenge. My goal seriously is to finish, which I can do, but it's not going to be easy. Only one more big run left, just need to stay healthy for the next few weeks.

August was a heck of a month: 128 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment