Monday, June 24, 2013

Preparing for the heat

Great weekend away in Wisconsin. The weather didn't cooperate and enable us to sit by the pool and read as much as I would have liked but it was still nice to get away, relax and recharge.

I did get a comical 1.3 mile run in on Saturday. There was a path around Lake Delevan where we stayed. I had no idea how long it was but quickly found out it was 1.3 miles round trip. What made it interesting was the humidity, the gusty winds and the water coming up on to the path from the lake so I ran most of it on the grass.

This week I'm sticking with what I have been doing. Tuesday will be a seven mile run, four miles of speed work on Thursday and 11+ miles on Saturday. After some discussions with people who know more about running than me, I'm going to start tweaking my Tuesday runs in July. I'm going to do one mile warm up and then three to four miles at faster than normal pace, one that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, a true tempo run. I'm going to try that for a couple of weeks at least and see how it goes.

I may try to do a couple of group runs with those too, I heard about some folks that meet at a beach in Evanston for group runs Tuesday and Thursday morning's  and I check that out.

The Chicago Rock N' Roll Half Marathon is basically right around the corner. I'm also doing the 5K the week before where I really want to break 30-minutes. Did I mention I'll be wearing a tutu? Why yes, I will. I have a feeling the 5K is not the best idea I've ever had with this training but we'll see how it pans out.

I have two longer runs coming up and then taper a bit before starting to pile on again in August. And if there was any doubt before, summer is here in Chicago. Upper 80s and high humidity all week should make runs interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment