Monday, July 15, 2013

7/14 - Hometown Charity Run

3.1 miles: 31:03: 10:05 pace

Fulfilled my obligation to run a 5K in a tutu on Sunday for those who have donated to the Wright-Way Animal Shelter. It was a good time, was getting a lot of fun comments from volunteers on the course and afterwards.

The first 5K I every ran in 2008 was at Sox park too, though this one took a much different and better route. It was fun running down 35th Street through Bridgeport and on to the field at the park.

The time is a personal best for a 5K by 13 seconds but I didn't hit my goal of sub-30 minutes. It was a little disappointing but my own fault. The day before we had a birthday party and we were on the deck of this great place in Lincoln Square, the weather was perfect, the beer was cold and the company was fantastic. The beer garden closed early and we then went for Mexican, a cuisine that I don't have a good track record with when running the next day. But I went with the flow and enjoyed myself.

When you train for a marathon you give a lot of things up. Since I typically do my long runs on Saturday mornings, that means no going out on Friday night, no beer to unwind and healthy food. As the training intensifies I know this is only going to become more important and I realized this might be one of the last times between now and Oct. 13 that I get to kick back and relax.

I probably won't be running another 5K until November -- Turkey Trot -- so will have to try for sub-30 then.

Five mile run tomorrow with ERC, boot camp Wednesday, three on Thursday and the rest, rest, rest for Sunday. Cloudy and a high of 79 is the forecast right now, which sounds fantastic. I would love cooler but overcast and the 70s sounds great, hopefully the humidity we're getting this week will abate.

Random notes:

  • Running the 4.1 mile Run for Walker at Northwestern on July 28. Folks from the Evanston Runner's Club were talking about it and it's a block from the in-law's place so should be fun. 
  • Doing the CARA Magellan Ready to Run 20 miler Sept. 22. It's a fully-supported training run for the fall marathons. 
  • Signed up for the Crosstown Classic 10K. Runner's pick north of south side and the average time of the top 1,000 finisher's determines the winner. I'm supposed to run 12 miles that day and will be in the taper but should be fine. Seemed like too much fun to pass up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment