Tuesday, December 31, 2013

900!

With only hours to spare I hit my goal of 900 miles for 2013. While this doesn't triple my mileage from 2012 -- 307 -- it's still not bad. As you can see from the photo it was a little chilly, 8 felt like -12.

This month has been tough to get out and run in. If it isn't the single digits temps and negative wind chills it's the ice and snow. I'm happier dealing with the former than the latter because at least then I don't have to worry about falling.

I never would have thought that I would do so much in 2013. From a year ago where my longest run was seven miles to finishing a full marathon while also running three halves, I couldn't be happier.

2014 will be a year of adjustments. In the short term I am running two half marathons in January, a 5K in March and a 10-miler in April. I am also planning to train with a couple of friends for the Wisconsin Marathon on May 3 in Kenosha. I am not committing to run the marathon -- baby is due the end of May -- I need to see how Rory and the kid are doing and I can't have training interfere with any baby classes and getting the nursery together.

But there's a possibility I may do it. I'm going to keep running and since the people I normally run with are training for it there's no harm in keeping up with them. It's also a lot less expensive than other marathons and doesn't sell out so I can do it last minute and Kenosha is only an hour away.

Beyond that it's tough to say what will happen in 2014. I would like to maintain fitness for the half but that's probably a pipe dream once the kid arrives. But hopefully I'll be able to get some miles in still and maintain a 10K at the very least.

2013 has been a great year in the vast majority of respects and I only look forward to better things in the coming year!


No comments:

Post a Comment